What are Cookies?
When referring to an internet cookie, a “cookie” is essentially nothing more than a very small text file. These documents typically include information such as a unique anonymous identifier or number assigned to each visitor. When you visit a website, the site’s server computer requests permission from the visitor’s device in order to store cookie files. Cookies are stored in a specific location on a device that is specially exclusively reserved for storage of cookies.
However, cookie storage is generally only permitted if your browser and/or device settings or set to allow it. Due to obvious privacy concerns, a device and internet browser typically only allows a website to access or view its own cookies. Web servers and websites generally cannot access or view cookie sent from other websites.
Cookies on NerdCrafted.com
Some reasons for cookies on our site include, but may not be limited to, the following reasons:
- To determine and analyze how visitors interact with content on our site.
- To track traffic data such as geographical location of users, number of visits and more.
- To store user preferences such as font size, display settings and more.
- To offer convenient features that improve user experience. This can include benefits such as recognizing visitors, allowing returning visitors to remain logged in, recognizing usernames and login info, managing content submission forms or contact forms and more.
- To remember whether a visitor has already responded to a survey or popup window.
- To track sales of products for which we are affiliate marketers. In some cases we may earn a small commission or reward on products sold through the links on our site. This is often made possible due to tracking cookies used by affiliate marketing networks. These cookies allow these networks and merchants to track and credit sales generated from our website and links.
- To offer personalized interest based advertising you may be interested in. For example, see “Google Cookies” below.
Managing and Controlling Cookies
Enabling cookies isn’t necessarily required for our website to operate correctly. However, we highly recommend you enable and allow cookies for the best browsing experience. We cannot and do not guarantee our website will operate correctly with cookies disabled, deleted, defeated or bypassed. You can control, manage and delete cookies as you desire. You may block cookies, delete cookies already on your device and more. For additional details on managing cookies visit aboutcookies.org.